- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water, lukewarm
- 7 -7 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 onion, chopped (medium)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup water (have more on hand)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make mound of flour directly on counter or table. Make a well in the center for the yeast. Add the other dry ingredients (onion, dill weed, and salt) around the edge. Make sure to keep salt out of the yeast.
- Add sugar and the lukewarm water to the yeast. Proof yeast until bubbly.
- Mix together the melted butter, egg, buttermilk, and 1 cup of water. SLOWLY add to dry ingredients while mixing with the other hand.
- Mix together until it forms a ball that is not sticky or dry. It should be soft "like a baby's bottom".
- Put in a greased bowl and cover with a light damp towel. Let dough rise until doubled (about 45 minutes or so).
- Punch dough down and separate into 3 medium loaves. Place loaves in greased pans and let rise again for another 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. (I usually check it a little early!).