Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Proof the yeast in the lukewarm water with the sugar.
- In a saucepan, warm the cottage cheese until lukewarm, and add to the yeast sponge. Then add the egg, lightly beaten, the grated onion, melted butter, salt, baking soda, dill seeds and fresh dill.
- Stir until well blended, then add just enough flour to make a rather soft dough.
- Put the dough into a large buttered bowl, cover with a towel and place in a warm spot to rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Remove the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead for a couple of minutes.
- Then place in a large buttered (9" by 5') loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Then bake in the oven for about 50 minutes or until the bread has turned light brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool wrapped in a towel.
Delicious! My mom used to make this and we loved it! I tried this recipe and it was...well, just like Moms. I know why she didn't make it more often ~ we'd have each weighed about 400bls! Anyway, my one correction is that if you pre-heat the oven before you proof the yeast, it will be on for about 1.5 hours or more before you actually need it. Preheating it when the dough is resting for the final 30 min is more than enough. I know this seems obvious, but my daughter was going step by step...
One of my favorites. The inside of the bread is like one of the finest cake textures and the outside crust crisp up nice if you mist the oven before baking.
Awesome Bread! My husband loved it! I made it into a round loaf and cooked it on a stone. The color turned out great! I also did not have any dill seed, so I added extra dill weed. Very good!