Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe comes from "Beard on Bread' by James Beard (1984)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water (100 to 115 degrees F.)
- 8 ounces large-curd cottage cheese, room temperature (not creamed type)
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons onions, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water in a large mixing bowl, and allow to proof for about 5 minutes.
- Stir the cottage cheese into the yeast mixture, then add the egg and blend thoroughly.
- Stir in the grated onion, melted butter, salt, and baking soda.
- Stir in the flours, 1 cup at a time, and the dill weed.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board.
- Knead for about 5 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and springs back when indented with the fingers.
- Butter a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and shape the dough to fit the pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree F.
- oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the bread sounds hollow when you remove it from the pan and tap it with your knuckles.
- Cool on a rack before slicing.