Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
In 'The French Slow Cooker' by Michele Scicolone
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 Cornish hens
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Scatter the vegetables in a large slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the hens inside and out with salt and pepper to taste.
- Tuck a garlic clove inside the cavity of each one.
- Place the hens in the slow cooker.
- Pour the wine around the hens.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 hours, or until the hens are tender and cooked through.
- Remove the hens to a serving platter; cover and keep warm.
- Strain the cooking liquid into a medium saucepan.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and cook it over med-high heat until slightly reduced.
- Turn the heat down slightly and whisk in the mustards.
- Stir in the parsley and butter.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust.
- Pour the sauce over the hens and serve.