Recipe by flower7
This is a delicious low-fat version of stroganoff. It comes from Cooking Light magazine.
Top Review by Chef jen_hart
I liked this recipe, but like many other reviewers, made some changes. Because I had to go to work, I combined a can of low-sodium chicken broth, the onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme in my slow cooker, and then added two bone-in chicken breasts. I cooked this on low for 3 hours. When I got home, I removed the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and poured the cooking liquid into a skillet. I heated the liquid to a boil over med-high heat and added 2 tbls of honey mustard (we were out of dijon) while I chopped the mushrooms and cooked chicken. I sauteed the mushrooms in some olive oil, then added them and the chopped chicken to the sauce in the skillet. Finally, I added plain non-fat Greek yogurt as a substitute for the sour cream, and let it all reduce for 15 minutes. This was great served over rice.
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces fresh cremini mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 6 ounces egg noodles, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine broth, water, onion, mustard, thyme, salt, pepper, garlic and mushrooms in a skillet.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes (do not be alarmed by curdling of liquid).
- Arrange chicken in a single layer in the skillet, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes (do not boil).
- Remove chicken from skillet, cut into smaller pieces, and keep warm.
- Bring liquid left in skillet to a boil and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Return chicken and juices to skillet, turning chicken to coat.
- Serve with noodles.