Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
- 1 (5 lb) whole chickens
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 350°F; remove giblets from chicken, place the chicken breast side up in a 9x13-inch roasting pan, season with salt and pepper, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
- Brush half of mixture over the chicken, cover with aluminum foil; roast for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and brush remaining mixture over bird, continue roasting uncovered 1 3/4 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 180°F.