Recipe by DrGaellon
From the Syllabub blog at Blogspot.com. This recipe is not too sweet, so these would be good with cheese too. If you want additional sweetness, try sprinkling the top of the dough with Turbinado sugar as you roll it out.
- 11 ounces plain whole wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk (I used full-fat organic goat milk powder)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon malt syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the dry ingredients, then cut in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Combine the water, malt syrup and vanilla and drizzle over the dry mix.
- Mix until the dough can be squeezed and it holds together. If necessary, add more water in small amounts.
- Roll out either between two sheets of waxed paper, or – better – place the dough on a Silpat and then top it with a sheet of wax paper. Roll out to a thickness of 1/8” and then stamp out shapes. Peel away trimmings, then prick with fork.
- Bake at 325F for 20-25 minutes, taking care that they don’t over-brown.
- When cool, store in air-tight container.