1/1 Photo of Digestive Biscuits
1 hr 5 mins
These are one of the most popular biscuits sold commercially in Britain. They are very delicate and, therefore, extremely difficult to reproduce exactly but this recipe is fairly close. The ORIGINAL recipe is posted, verbatim, below. However, please note that I used Pillsbury plain whole wheat flour (which I sifted) and I used 4 ROUNDED, not level, tablespoons of wheat germ. These minor modifications were made as a result of the (always) invaluable advice and information I received from fellow chefs in a Recipezaar discussion forum. Biscuits will be 2 1/2 inch diameter x 1/8 inch thick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the dry ingredients, and then cut in the butter so that the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- 2Combine the water and vanilla and drizzle over the dry mixture.
- 3Blend until the dough can be packed together.
- 4Roll out on a floured surface or between two sheets of waxed paper until the dough is about 3 mm (1/8 inch) thick.
- 5Cut into circles or other shapes and bake on a greased baking sheet at 170°C/ 325°F/ Gas Mark 3 for 20 to 25 minutes; make sure the oven does not get too hot- they should not be too brown.
- 6Cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Digestive Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 130.2
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 96.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 3.1 g