- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut butter into flour until fully incorporated.
- Mix in remaining ingredients, carefully adding hot water until dough reaches a pastry consistency.
- Roll out dough on a floured board until very thin--1/8 inch (dough may be chilled first).
- Cut into rounds the size you want, transfer to cookie sheets (1" apart) and prick (like a cracker) [do not grease cookie sheets].
- Bake at 375 degrees F until golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
- Cool on rack, store in air-tight container.