Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
No mushroom soup or french fried onions in this one!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup Ritz cracker, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt 2 T butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth, and cook for one minute. Stir in the salt, sugar, onion, and sour cream. Add green beans, and stir to coat.
- Pour mixture into a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Spread shredded cheese over the top.
- In a small bowl, mix Ritz crackers with 1 T butter; sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the top is golden brown.
This was a nice simple recipe. Made as written and the kids loved the fact that their was onions in it. Great cheese flavor. Just enough. Made for 1-2-3 hits.
I'm not a fan of the traditional green bean casserole, so I was happy to give this a try. I'm glad I did. It's very easy to make and it's delicious. I made this as written, but just mixed half of the cheese right into the casserole and sprinkled the other half on top as directed. It was great that way. My siur cream was reduced-fat and the recipe came out successfully. Thanx for sharing!