Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Forget the traditional mayonnaise you always use in devilled eggs and try this instead.
- 8 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) containersoft-spreadable cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper
- Peel eggs and halve lengthwise; place yolks in a mixing bowl and set whites aside.
- Mash yolks with the cream cheese, then add the relish and the dry mustard; substitute 2 tsp prepared yellow mustard if dry mustard powder is not available; stir well.
- Taste filling and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill whites, either with a teaspoon or get fancy and use a pastry bag with a star tip, and chill until serving.
- Traditional garnish is a sprinkling of paprika.
Lennie, these are definitely different and very good. The cream cheese and relish together... soooo good!! I made regular deviled eggs and also a batch of these and both went. These are a keeper!! Thanks for sharing.
This is wonderful with minced swet gherkins and onion. I have a suggestion if you want an easy way to make your eggs look fancy. Use a ziploc bag! Just spoon your egg yolk mixture into a ziploc storage bag and seal. Cut the corner of the bag off, and voila! You have a disposable pastry bag. No clean up, just toss! When you are filling the eggs, hold the bag at the BOTTOM of the inside of the egg, and pull up as you squeeze. Otherwise you get what my kids call "cat poop!" It takes some practice, but they look really nice!
A very good alternative to the mayonnaise type eggs. There was plenty of yolk mixture left over so my only suggestion would to be to cut the amounts of yolks, cream cheese, relish and mustard in half. Put the other 4 yolks in a salad or something.