Recipe by Lianna Banana
This is an adaptation of a popular recipe, to make it better for diabetics and heart patients, and for good health. It is very low in sodium and can be made sugar-free. The ingredients are lower glycemic than regular strawberry shortcake.
Top Review by carole in orlando
Thanks for a great healthy shortcake. I used 1/2 ww pastry flour and 1/2 all-purpose flour, Splenda, low-fat milk, egg beaters and added a tsp of salt. It made a nice textured, soft on the inside and crisp on the outside shortcake. This is a keeper! Thanks, Carole in Orlando
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 cup granular fructose (or sugar substitute)
- 1 tablespoon featherweight baking powder (or 2 TBSP Ener-G baking powder)
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, diced or 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
- 8 cups fresh strawberries, sliced (or chopped)
- 4 tablespoons fructose
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spoon the whole wheat pastry flour into a two cup measurer, so it doesn't pack down, level the top, then put into a medium size mixing bowl. (You could use regular whole wheat flour, but sift it before spooning into the measurer.).
- Add baking powder and fructose or sugar substitute and stir together.
- Add butter or olive oil to flour mixture and blend with pastry blender until crumbly.
- In a 2 cup measurer with a pour spout, measure 1/2 cup fat free half and half (or liquid coffee creamer), then add vanilla and egg and whisk togther.
- Pour liquid into flour and butter mixture and stir until just mixed. (Sometimes it's easier to do the last bit of mixing with your hand.).
- Spray a baking pan with pan spray.
- Pat dough into a rectangular shape in pan, approximately 1 inch thick. (It doesn't fill a 9 by 9 square pan -- 6 by 9 would be perfect.).
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes, then cut into 9 equal squares.
- The berries are best if chilled before serving. Add the fructose and stir, and serve on split squares of shortcake.
- They can be topped with your choice of creamy toppings, if desired. (Artificial whipped cream, real whipped cream, dietetic ice cream, soy ice cream, etc.).