Lianna Banana's Note:
This is an adaptation of a popular recipe, to make it better for diabetics and heart patients, and for good health. It is very low in sodium and can be made sugar-free. The ingredients are lower glycemic than regular strawberry shortcake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup granular fructose (or sugar substitute)
- 1 tablespoon featherweight baking powder (or 2 TBSP Ener-G baking powder)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, diced or 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
- 8 cups fresh strawberries, sliced (or chopped)
- 4 tablespoons fructose
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Spoon the whole wheat pastry flour into a two cup measurer, so it doesn't pack down, level the top, then put into a medium size mixing bowl. (You could use regular whole wheat flour, but sift it before spooning into the measurer.).
- 3Add baking powder and fructose or sugar substitute and stir together.
- 4Add butter or olive oil to flour mixture and blend with pastry blender until crumbly.
- 5In a 2 cup measurer with a pour spout, measure 1/2 cup fat free half and half (or liquid coffee creamer), then add vanilla and egg and whisk togther.
- 6Pour liquid into flour and butter mixture and stir until just mixed. (Sometimes it's easier to do the last bit of mixing with your hand.).
- 7Spray a baking pan with pan spray.
- 8Pat dough into a rectangular shape in pan, approximately 1 inch thick. (It doesn't fill a 9 by 9 square pan -- 6 by 9 would be perfect.).
- 9Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- 10Cool for 10-15 minutes, then cut into 9 equal squares.
- 11The berries are best if chilled before serving. Add the fructose and stir, and serve on split squares of shortcake.
- 12They can be topped with your choice of creamy toppings, if desired. (Artificial whipped cream, real whipped cream, dietetic ice cream, soy ice cream, etc.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dietetic Strawberry Shortcake
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.3
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 39.4 mg
- Sodium 32.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 17.3 g
- Protein 5.5 g