Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
We keep this cold, low-fat, low calorie veggie in the refrigerator at all times during the hot Summer months. We eat it as a side dish or my favorite way - spooned on top of a green salad just before adding the dressing! NOTE: This is a versatile salad. Let your imagination run wild and create new versions from ingredients you have on hand!
- 2 (16 ounce) cans green beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can waxed yellow beans
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups Splenda sugar substitute, for baking or 5 teaspoons Equal sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 -5 1⁄4 tablespoons canola oil or 2 -5 1⁄4 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
- Note:*** We prefer the salad without the oil; however, you may wish to add some or all of it.
- Rinse and drain canned veggies and place in bowl, along with the carrots and onion.
- Mix marinade ingredients together and pour over veggies.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Drain and serve.
- Note:*** These keep for 2-4 weeks, so feel free to double the recipe or add any of the following CANNED vegetables (washed and drained) with more marinade:*** kidney beans,corn, chili beans, navy beans, black beans, great northern beans OR the following FRESH vegetables: sliced purple onion or spring onions, red bell pepper strips, green bell pepper strips, green cabbage, finely sliced and cut into bite-sized pieces.
This is perfect for Somersizing as long as you leave out the carrots. I also added some finely chopped coriander. Good salad, I am certainly going to make this again. Travels well in a Tupperware as well!