Recipe by BeachGirl
We keep this cold, low-fat, low calorie veggie in the refrigerator at all times during the hot Summer months. We eat it as a side dish or my favorite way - spooned on top of a green salad just before adding the dressing! NOTE: This is a versatile salad. Let your imagination run wild and create new versions from ingredients you have on hand!
Top Review by Mirj
This is perfect for Somersizing as long as you leave out the carrots. I also added some finely chopped coriander. Good salad, I am certainly going to make this again. Travels well in a Tupperware as well!
- 2 (16 ounce) cans green beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can waxed yellow beans
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups Splenda sugar substitute, for baking or 5 teaspoons Equal sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 -5 1⁄4 tablespoons canola oil or 2 -5 1⁄4 tablespoons olive oil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Note:*** We prefer the salad without the oil; however, you may wish to add some or all of it.
- Rinse and drain canned veggies and place in bowl, along with the carrots and onion.
- Mix marinade ingredients together and pour over veggies.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Drain and serve.
- Note:*** These keep for 2-4 weeks, so feel free to double the recipe or add any of the following CANNED vegetables (washed and drained) with more marinade:*** kidney beans,corn, chili beans, navy beans, black beans, great northern beans OR the following FRESH vegetables: sliced purple onion or spring onions, red bell pepper strips, green bell pepper strips, green cabbage, finely sliced and cut into bite-sized pieces.