Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe of my grandmothers that I 'tweeked' a little :) Its very good and perfect for dieters, its low cal, low carb AND low sodium!!
- 32 ounces of 1/3 less sodium organic chicken broth
- 8 ounces of no salt added tomato sauce (small can)
- 1 cup water
- 4 slices of thick hickory smoked bacon (I find Great Value brand is best)
- 3 -4 cloves garlic (miced)
- 4 whole bay leaves
- 1 large white onion (largely chopped)
- 2 stocks celery (diced)
- 2 large carrots (fresh, diced)
- 1⁄2 cup squash (fresh, diced)
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini (fresh, diced)
- 5 on the vine tomatoes (blanched, peeled, diced)
- garlic salt & pepper (I use garlic salt, its less sodium)
- seasoning salt (Optional but very good. Use Tony's)
- Blanche, peel and dice your tomatoes. The best way to do this is to bring a pot of water to a very close boil, but not boiling. Make a thin 'X' with a serrated knife at the bottom of each tomato. Take a large bowl and fill with ice water. Drop a few at a time into the HOT water. Let them sit no longer than a minute, you will start to see them peel. Then drop into the cold bath for another minute. The tomatoes should peel very easily.
- Mix everything together in a large pot. Garlic salt and pepper to taste. I usually add a little then when its done. salt to taste if needed. Simmer for about an hour or until celery is soft. Remove the bacon and serve it up.
- *What I do when its done is like to turn off the stove and let sit for another 30 minutes to let the seasons marry.
- **This recipe makes A LOT, I freeze half.