Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
A mere three tablespoons of butter goes into this flavorful dessert. Served warm with light whipped topping, it makes you forget you're keeping tabs on calories. I found this recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens Dieter's Cookbook.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup full-flavored molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 egg whites
- frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly coat an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; dust lightly with flour. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the 1 1/2 cups flour, the sugar, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the water, molasses, butter, and egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until combined. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Serve warm and, if desired, with dessert topping.