Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a combo of a couple of diet cabbage soup recipes I have. I don't follow any particular diet, but this is healthy and much more palatable with the addition of lean sausage for flavor. I'm not a fan of those high-sodium soup flavor packets! :P
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces lean chicken sausage
- 1 (32 ounce) carton low sodium chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh herb, of choice (parsely, cilantro, dill, etc.)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook through, breaking into crumbles.
- Remove sausage, drain pan. Add broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add onion, celery, carrot, tomato, beans, and cabbage. Simmer 30-45 minutes or until all are tender.
- Return sausage to pot. Add herbs, pepper, and little salt to taste. Serve.