Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
It's tasty, filling, and easy to make
- 6 ounces uncooked egg noodles (I used whole wheat)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 ounce) carton1% low fat cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) carton nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (divided in half)
- 1. Cook noodles according to package instructions w/o oil.
- 2. Cook ground beef and next 3 ingredients in large non-stick skillet. Drain in colander and wipe the skillet with paper towel then return meat to skillet.
- 3. Add tomato sauce, pepper, salt (I also added oregano).
- 4. Combine the cottage cheese and next 4 ingredients in large bowl. Stir in the meat mixture, noodles and ½ of the cheddar cheese. Spoon mixture into casserole dish coated with cooking spray. At this point you can cover and chill or freeze for later.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350. Cover casserole with foil and cook for 20 minutes.
- 6. Uncover and add rest of cheese and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Yields 8 servings.
- 288 calories, 7.8 g. Fat, and 2 g. fiber (this is fiber with regular egg noodles).