Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
The proverbial statement "You know you are a Weight Watcher when..." could easily be completed with you have heard of or tried chicken simmered in a sauce made of equal parts ketchup and diet cola. While I love the dish for it's simplicity, I find it too sweet for my tastes. Inspired by Weight Watchers 4pt. Cola Chicken and the addition of onions to add a savory note, I decided to play with the classic and developed this version. Though there are a few more ingredients, it is just as easy to prepare as the original. (WW 4 points per serving and Core)
- 4 (453.59 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 340.19 g diet cola (I use diet Pepsi)
- 236.59 ml ketchup
- 158.51 ml finely diced red onions or 158.51 ml yellow onion
- 9.85 ml cider vinegar
- 1.23 ml hot sauce
- Mix together the ketchup, diet cola, vinegar, hot sauce and onions in a large skillet. Add the chicken breasts and bring the sauce to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 50 minutes, until the chicken is tender enough to split with a fork. The sauce will be reduced by half and quite rich and thick.
- Serve each breast with a quarter of the sauce.
Loved this! The chicken was so tender. I used a reduced sugar ketchup.
a keeper w dh and I...the kids weren't so hot on it....
Very good! My family enjoyed it and I love that it is good for you. Thanks for sharing! Made for Gimme 5 Tag.