Recipe by justcallmetoni
The proverbial statement "You know you are a Weight Watcher when..." could easily be completed with you have heard of or tried chicken simmered in a sauce made of equal parts ketchup and diet cola. While I love the dish for it's simplicity, I find it too sweet for my tastes. Inspired by Weight Watchers 4pt. Cola Chicken and the addition of onions to add a savory note, I decided to play with the classic and developed this version. Though there are a few more ingredients, it is just as easy to prepare as the original. (WW 4 points per serving and Core)
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 ounces diet cola (I use diet Pepsi)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2⁄3 cup finely diced red onions or 2⁄3 cup yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the ketchup, diet cola, vinegar, hot sauce and onions in a large skillet. Add the chicken breasts and bring the sauce to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 50 minutes, until the chicken is tender enough to split with a fork. The sauce will be reduced by half and quite rich and thick.
- Serve each breast with a quarter of the sauce.