Recipe by TerriB
Just posting this recipe to figure out the calorie content...It is a very healthy, low cal, diet soup - fills me up when I'm starving, which seems to be mid afternoon for me. Also makes a great lunch. And it's super easy to make a huge batch and freeze for later.
- 12 ounces frozen chicken (tenders)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chicken base (or boullion)
- 10 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 red bell pepper, or
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) package coleslaw mix, or (no dressing)
- 1 lb cabbage, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup grape juice, or
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill pot with water.
- Add onions, garlic, chicken base, and frozen chicken.
- Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes, until chicken tenders are cooked thru.
- Remove tenders from pot and chop into smallish, bite sized pieces.
- Put them back in the broth, and add everything else except the beans, catsup, and the salt & pepper.
- Allow the pot to return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Turn down heat and simmer 15-20 minutes, until all the veggies are cooked thru.
- Add the canned beans, partially drained (you want some of that liquid to thicken everything a tiny bit), and stir.
- Taste test and add salt & pepper as needed.
- If it seems bland, add the catsup at the end and stir well.
- Serve hot with a little sprinkle of parmesan on top.