Recipe by Donna Matthews
This delicious soup was "tweaked" by our friend Dick and delivered to us one night when I was recovering from a hospital stay along with some cornbread and a salad.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans great northern beans, with liquid
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, with liquid
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies, without liquid (or jalapeno)
- 16 ounces frozen broccoli
- 2 tablespoons garlic oil
- 1 ounce butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cajun seasoning (or creole)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup Chardonnay wine (or other dry white wine)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the chicken with Cajun seasoning.
- Put oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and sauté 7 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- To the pan, add the diced onion and chopped garlic.
- Sauté them until the onion is translucent and not browned.
- Place the chicken in a large pot.
- Add the white and black beans, chili, onions, garlic, seasoning, the chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, and wine.
- Stir well.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes (over medium heat) stirring occasionally.
- Add the broccoli.
- Bring back to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer 7-9 minutes, or until broccoli is tender crisp.
- Remove from heat, stir in the sour cream and half and half.
- Good with corn bread.