Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Enjoy this flavorful salad with falafel, barbecued meat, fried fish or spoon it into a pita pocket. The recipe can be found in The Arabian Nights Cookbook: From Lamb Kebabs to Baba Ghanouj, Delicious Homestyle Arabian cooking. I found the recipe in the Toronto Star.
- 2 tomatoes, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 4 -6 green onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup tahini
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large pinch ground cardamom and cayenne pepper
- Place tomato, cucumber, onion and cilantro in medium sized salad bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients in blender for 1 minute or whisk thoroughly.
- Pour over vegetables and toss to combine.
This wonderful salad is a nice change from other salad recipes. I made it exactly as written and we enjoyed it alongside Marvelous Middle-Eastern Marinated Yogurt Lemon Chicken. It has the perfect combination of spices and the tahini provides a nice flavor. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Made for PRMR.
I loved this recipe. The only problem for me was that it didn't keep well. The juices from the tomatoes and cucumber diluted the dressing too much. So now I make the dressing and keep it separate adding just prior to eating. Just the same as a lettuce salad. Delicious though and a nice change from lettuce salad.
A nice way to eat the fresh tomatoes and cucumbers from my friend's garden! I enjoyed the tahini flavor. I did scale this down for 1, thanks!