Recipe by BBCFan
My mom wasn't a great chef, any recipe of her's I CAN DO WAY BETTER!
Top Review by OceanLuvinGranny
I had to make this for lunch today when my sister came over. Her husband hates tuna in anything so when she is here, I like to give her tuna as she loves it and never gets it at home. I made a few changes to suit our taste. I added 1 can of drained peas (no carrots). I also added 1/4 c sour cream to the mayonnaise. I used fresh white button mushrooms sliced and sauteed them with the onion before adding to the casserole. I only use white albacore chunk tuna in the gold can because that's what we like the best. I used a can of Campbell's healthy request low sodium mushroom soup and it didn't make this casserole "gross" at all. We loved it. I think next time, I will try it with the celery soup but keep the sour cream in there. This is realy a good base for tuna casserole....one of the better ones I have tried. Thanks for sharing it.
- 8 ounces pasta, of your choice
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup (PLEASE DO NOT USE "cream of MUSHROOM", use "cream of CELERY SOUP" only. "Cream of MUSHROOM" is Soo Y)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (fresh is best, see my recipe for 'Fresh Mayonnaise', I know, I'm very picky about my ingredients )
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (7 ounce) can tuna
- 1 lb frozen peas and carrot (PLEASE DON'T USE CANNED VEGGIES, they have NO NUTRITIONAL VALUE AT ALL. Canned veggies were only mad)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper (this is optional, but it really makes this SPECTACULAR, if you add this, whoever eats this will thin)