Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
DO NOT OMIT THE HOT PEPPER HABENEROS OTHERWISE, THIS IS NOT MY RECIPE YOU ARE REVIEWING AND SHOULD NOT BE REVIEWED PLEASE. THANK YOU. I don't like dry, baked, bland Mac & cheese. If I'm going to stuff my self with fat and carbs in the same meal - IT BETTER BE WORTH IT! I sincerely think my mac & cheese is better than my mothers because I don't bake all the flavor out of it and dry it out with bread-crumbs. I never understood the point of bread-crumbs on Mac & Cheese anyway. So, please: NO BREADCRUMBS!!!!!!! Thank you :-)
- 29.58 ml butter
- 59.14 ml flour (I always or only use 'Bob's Red Mill Soy Flour' to significantly cut the carbs and boost protein.)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml dry mustard
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 473.18 ml milk
- 473.18 ml grated cheddar cheese
- 118.29 ml diced ham
- 118.29 ml diced peas
- 236.59 ml chopped habeneros with seeds
- 118.29 ml Tabasco sauce
- 226.79 g dry whole wheat elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions (to make it lower carbs, use 'Dreamfields Pasta' (In the black box)
- Part 1:.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- Stir in flour, salt, mustard, cayenne and pepper until smooth.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk until smooth.
- Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until thickened (about 10 minutes).
- Add ham & peas and Haberneros and Hot Sauce.
- Blend together well.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese until melted.
- ******************** This is where I END my recipe - at the MAXIMUM, Oooey, gooey, yummy, melty goodness. But SOME people insist I go further. As long as there are no bread crumbs involved, I'll compromise and continue.
- Part 2:.
- Combine cheese mixture with macaroni in greased 2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Like I said, if I'm making this for myself - I only do Part 1 and I strongly suggest everyone give it a try that way too. You don't know what you're missing!