Recipe by BBCFan
DO NOT OMIT THE HOT PEPPER HABENEROS OTHERWISE, THIS IS NOT MY RECIPE YOU ARE REVIEWING AND SHOULD NOT BE REVIEWED PLEASE. THANK YOU. I don't like dry, baked, bland Mac & cheese. If I'm going to stuff my self with fat and carbs in the same meal - IT BETTER BE WORTH IT! I sincerely think my mac & cheese is better than my mothers because I don't bake all the flavor out of it and dry it out with bread-crumbs. I never understood the point of bread-crumbs on Mac & Cheese anyway. So, please: NO BREADCRUMBS!!!!!!! Thank you :-)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour (I always or only use 'Bob's Red Mill Soy Flour' to significantly cut the carbs and boost protein.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup diced ham
- 1⁄2 cup diced peas
- 1 cup chopped habeneros with seeds
- 1⁄2 cup Tabasco sauce
- 8 ounces dry whole wheat elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions (to make it lower carbs, use 'Dreamfields Pasta' (In the black box)
Directions See How It's Made
- Part 1:.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- Stir in flour, salt, mustard, cayenne and pepper until smooth.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk until smooth.
- Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until thickened (about 10 minutes).
- Add ham & peas and Haberneros and Hot Sauce.
- Blend together well.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese until melted.
- ******************** This is where I END my recipe - at the MAXIMUM, Oooey, gooey, yummy, melty goodness. But SOME people insist I go further. As long as there are no bread crumbs involved, I'll compromise and continue.
- Part 2:.
- Combine cheese mixture with macaroni in greased 2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Like I said, if I'm making this for myself - I only do Part 1 and I strongly suggest everyone give it a try that way too. You don't know what you're missing!