Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This tomato salsa is mild - double the jalepeno peppers for hot salsa. It's important to use commercial lemon and lime juice to assure the finished salsa is acidic enough to can safely. Fresh squeezed juice can vary in acidity.
- 10 cups tomatoes, peels and chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 cups bell peppers, chopped (red are prettiest()
- 3 cups cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, and chopped
- 5 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- Combine all ingredients, and simmer until reaches desired consistency (about 30 minutes, depending on how juicy the tomatoes are).
- Ladle into hot pint jars. Cap with two piece caps, and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
- Cool and store in cool, dark place.
I made several different canned salsa recipes last year - this one was everyones favorite. Cucumbers seemed like an odd addition BUT they are what makes the recipe good - without being obnoxiously different. Only the cook knows they are in there. Anyway, thank you for an excellent recipe and I'll be making more this year.