Prep 10 mins
Cook 13 mins
You have to be a mushroom lover for this one. This creamy mushroom filling can also be used as a topping for your favorite pasta, wrapped in lasagna noodles, or placed between tortillas. You can also add ham, dried beef, etc., for more flavor. You can also cook these in a sandwich maker, toaster oven, or pannini pan. I buy presliced mushrooms, so prep is really quick. They can be made with any mushroom but are really good if a mixture of button, wild, porcini, or whatever, mushrooms are used.
- 1 loaf white bread (large, firm)
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional) or 2 tablespoons margarine (optional)
- 16 ounces mushrooms (sliced or chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 small garlic clove (crushed)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter (or butter flavored spray PAM)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- If desired, remove crusts from bread, trimming to make the slices into squares.
- Saute mushroom, onions, and garlic until tender and brown. If desired, saute in 2 T butter.
- Add cream cheese, salt and pepper to taste, stirring until mixture is smooth. You can also add any additional ingredients like dried beef or ham at this point.
- Lightly spray or butter one side of each slice of bread. Place 1/2 the butter bread face down on cookie sheet. Spread about 2 T of filling on unbuttered side of bread. Top with second slice of bread butter side up.
- Cut each one into the size you want for serving (whole, half, or quarters). It is better to do this before they get crispy as it is less messy and easier.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 8 minutes. Turn over and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- These can be wrapped and frozen for up to 4 months.