Recipe by eknecht
My mom's recipe for icing. Growing up we couldn't wait for birthdays, just to be able to swipe some of this good stuff as she was icing the cakes. So much better than store bought or bakery icing, easier than cooked icing.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup powdered coffee creamer (look for a brand that claims it's so rich that it whips)
- 1 teaspoon clear imitation almond extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 -5 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In electric mixer, combine shortening and creamer on low speed.
- Slowly add 2 cups of powdered sugar, mix well.
- Pour in water, then carefully add 2 additional cups sugar, almond extract, and salt. Thoroughly combine, scraping sides so that all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Mix on high speed for 3 minutes, then test consistency.
- If a denser icing is desired, add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- When desired consistency is reached, mix on high speed for 5 minutes to make light and fluffy.