Recipe by Diana Thompson
A wonderful "from scratch" German Chocolate cake recipe...a little labor-intensive, but certainly worth the extra effort!
Top Review by Freewhat2
This Cake Taste So Close To My Great Grandma's Til its Ashame.. Its Absolutely Delicious.. However There is Only One Error in this Recipe.. I FOLLOWED This Recipe to the T.. exactly as it is written..But I did do a 3 layer to cut back on some of the work..So Please Note: IT WAS TOO DRY.. For a Much Moister Cake add 2 Sticks of Butter or 1 Cup of Butter.. I'm Hoping that is Just a error in the listing and Being that I am the first to Post a comment on it Maybe no one else has tried this recipe or noticed the dry texture of the Cake I assume.. BUT PLEASE LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE ALONG.. IT IS PERFECT OTHER THAN NEEDING 2 STICKS OR 1 LB. OR 1 CUP of BUTTER.. The Icing is Plentyful And Delicious too.. It actually helped the Dryness of My cake..I also took Pictures and I am going to post them as soon as I find my camera cord.. Thank You Diana It is a Excellent Old Fashion Scratch Recipe.. If the Butter Were ADJUSTED I Would GIVE IT 10 stars!!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 package German chocolate, melted
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk, dissolve baking soda in it
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 bag coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add beaten egg yolks and beat well.
- Add the flour and buttermilk alternately to the mixture.
- Add the melted chocolate, then fold in stiffly beaten egg whites and salt.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Pour the batter into four 9" layer pans and bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Cool the cake completely in the pans.
- Cook the butter, egg yolks, sugar, and milk until thick enough to spread (20-30 minutes) stirring constantly over medium heat.
- Cool the mixture, then add nuts and most of the coconut.
- Spread the mixture between the layers and on the top and sides.
- Sprinkle the balance of the coconut on the top and sides.