Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 16 chicken pieces
- 3 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup spike seasoning
- vegetable oil
- Steam the chicken until done-this keeps the chicken very juicy and you have a great stock base to freeze for later use (2 meals in one-cant beat that).
- In a large heavy fry pan (I use cast iron), heat 2 1/2-3 inches veg oil over medium high heat.
- Set up three bowls.
- In the first bowl add 1 cup flour and all the salt.
- Mix well in the second bowl add eggs and milk and whisk well.
- In the third bowl add remaining flour, pepper and spike.
- Mix well Now dip in salted flour, dip in egg milk mixture, dip into spiced flour and into the hot oil it goes for around 5 minutes total-just to golden brown on all sides.
- Drain on a rack-not paper or paper towels and you've got some great chicken-juicy, crunchy and very tasty.
Wow!! What an excellent recipe!! This is the first time that I have fried chicken that wasn't dry, too crisy or underdone in the center. In the past when I fried chicken, I had to keep checking to see if the center was done. As a result my chicken has been too crisy for my taste and dry. I used my steamer basket to steam the chicken in (a metal one that you put in a pan). I cut the recipe in half and used 4 chicken thighs. I used half of the juice from the chicken to make gravy with and used the remaining flour to thicken the broth with. I used my own homemade steak seasoning instead of spike recipe#73103 This is the way I am going to fry my chicken from now on. Thanks Di for an excellent recipe
Very tasty chicken ,my husband and I both enjoyed it .Thanks for posting this recipe.It is a keeper. Glittergirl
We would give this way more stars, if we could! Steaming the chicken before frying is definitely the way to go! The chicken was crisp, tender, moist, and totally delicious. DH and I made this, and we kept sprinkling the top of the flour with the seasonings, to ensure a good measure of it got into the coating. It was perfect. We accompanied it with mashed potatoes and biscuits, for a totally southern meal. Di, this is a true winner. Absolutely wonderful. This is THE fried chicken recipe we'll use from now on. Perfect. Thanks!