Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is by far the very best caramel corn I've ever had. Sweet, buttery, crunchy, Finger Lickin' Good. I thought about cutting the recipe in half, but what would be the point.
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 quarts popped corn, 24 cups...sounds like a lot, but it really isn't
- In a large pot, combine sugar, corn syrup, butter, cream of tartar and salt.
- Boil rapidly on medium high heat, stirring constantly until mixture reaches 260° on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat. Stir in soda thoroughly.
- Pour over popped corn in a large bowl. Stir until well coated.
- Place popcorn on a large buttered cookie sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour at 200°, stirring 3 or 4 times.
- Keep in a tightly covered container.
- Care should be taken not to get the caramel on your skin. Trust me -- I know the consequences.
This kind of thing might not be devoured as quickly as is plain ol' popcorn, but it disappears pretty quickly, none-the-less! Easy-to-make & mose definitely habit forming! Thanks for a great treat! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a PRESSIE in the Aus/NZ 12 Days of Christmas Recipe Swap]
If you have a candy thermometer, it's easy to make. I was hoping what I had was a candy thermometer! It didn't say. I popped about 3/4 C of popcorn on the stove. Made as directed and tried it right out of the oven. It was soft and delicious! I am NOT a popcorn lover at all, but this could become addictive! :)