1/1 Photo of Diana Sturgis' Curried Cauliflower & Leek Soup
Lorraine of AZ's Note:
We've eaten this hot and cold and like it both ways. It really is a creamy soup; however, the potatoes add the creaminess, not cream. So you can feel pretty virtuous eating this. You may substitute broccoli or broccoflower the the cauliflower for variety.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (10 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 3 large leeks, white and tender green only, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and coarsely chopped (1/2 pound)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon curry powder
- 6 cups packed cauliflower florets, from a 2-pound head
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt (optional)
- 1Freeze the chicken broth until the fat congeals on the surface, about 20 minutes. Discard the fat.
- 2In a large saucepan, cook the leeks in the oil over moderately low heat, sirring occasionally, until partially wilted, about 7 minutes. Add the potato and curry powder and cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- 3Add the cauliflower, defatted broth, water and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat. reduce heat, cover and simmer until the vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.
- 4Discard the bay leaves. reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid; pour into a small saucepan. Boil until reduced to about 3 tablespoons.
- 5Working in batches, puree the vegetables and the remaining cooking liquid in a blender. Add the reduced cooking liquid to the soup in the blender. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- 6To serve: ladle into soup bowls and, if desired, top each serving with 1 tablespoon of the yogurt which you swirl lightly into the top of the soup.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Diana Sturgis' Curried Cauliflower & Leek Soup
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 77.4
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 636.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 3.8 g