2 hrs 20 mins
Turtle soup or stew is no longer a popular item on today's menus, but it once graced the tables of the rich and powerful. The diamondback terrapin was considered a delicacy to eat and hunted almost to extinction. Due to this, it is listed as an endangered species in Rhode Island; considered a threatened species in Massachusetts; is considered a "species of concern" in Georgia, Delaware, Louisiana, North Carolina, and Virginia, but it holds no federal status. If you cannot source turtle meat, feel free to substitute chicken. This historic recipe comes from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time is approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large terrapins (turtles)
- 6 eggs, hard-cooked
- 44.37 ml flour
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 44.37 ml lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 14.79 ml lemon rind, grated
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalk celery, diced
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 118.29 ml cream
- 473.18 ml sherry wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 709.77 ml chicken stock or 709.77 ml vegetable stock
- hot milk, if necessary
- 1Drop live terrapin into boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2Remove from water; rub skin off feet, tail and head with a towel, drawing the head out with a skewer.
- 3Clip off claws.
- 4Scrub shell with boiling water; break apart with a cleaver or axe.
- 5Remove meat and liver.
- 6Discard heart, sandbag, entrails and gall bladder (taking caution not to break it as it's bitter).
- 7Cut the liver in thin slices.
- 8Take out eggs, remove film and set aside in cold water.
- 9Mash yolks of eggs; add flour, nutmeg, lemon juice and rind.
- 10Stir in 1 cup of soup stock.
- 11Add onion, celery, terrapin and terrapin eggs and enough more stock to cover meat.
- 12Cook in double boiler until meat falls from bones.
- 13Remove bones, add worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, chopped egg whites, cream, sherry and milk (if necessary).
- 14Heat thoroughly and serve with toast.
Browse Our Top Wild Game Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Wild Game Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Diamondback Terrapin Stew, Chesapeake Bay Style
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 535.4
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 237.2 mg
- Sodium 307.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 10.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: