Prep 0 mins
Cook 55 mins
I love blue cheese and cranberries. This is DELICIOUS and I make it every Christmas. Got it from a "Diamond" ad in a 2002 magazine. (To say that the filling of this pie, that has blue cheese, tastes like "stuffing" is beyond me...)
- 1 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts, ground
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, cold cut into cubes
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional, but I always use it)
- 1 1⁄3 cups almonds, toasted (chopped or sliced)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream (no substitutes)
- 2 -3 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (I use the whole 4 oz package)
- CRUST: Pulse dry ingredients and butter in food processor until mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Add milk; pulse until cough comes together. Turn mixture into a ball then press it into a 9" tart pan. Prick crust. Freeze half hour. Bake at 375 F for 15-20 minutes, until golden.
- FILLING: Heat oil in heavy pan, add onion and salt and saute 10-15 minutes--be sure to stir constantly. Add cranberries and sugar; cook until berries pop. Stir in nuts and thyme; set aside.
- Combine eggs and cream and whisk until smooth. Spoon walnut-berry mixture into tart shell; crumble blue cheese over top and pour egg mixture over it.
- Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes, until golden.
- Cool 15 minutes before serving.
Made this for my best friend's birthday yesterday because she wanted me to bring something along which I could eat. This was easy to convert into gluten free - and it was AWESOME!!! I only got half a piece because everyone wanted to try it - this certainly will be a keeper. Thanks for posting!
I have been searching for something different and a show stopping. This sound like just what I want. Thanks for posting!
Question: The ingredients for the filling call for almonds, but in the recipe steps, Step 3 says, "spoon walnut-berry" mixture into the tart shell. So, am I to use walnuts or almonds in the filling?