Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is from a local supermarket. You can also use leftover cooked chicken, just omit the browning of the chicken and just saute the garlic and spices.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 lbs chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) canseasoned tomatoes and green chilies (RO*TEL brand CHILI FIXIN'S version)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil, along with garlic and 1 teaspoon each of chili powder and cumin.
- Remove chicken and cube/shred when cool.
- Sauté vegetables (onions, peppers and carrots) with remaining amount of chili powder and cumin until they are soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer covered for 3 hours. Serve over cornbread or cooked rice.