1/2 Photos of Diabetic Vegetable Stock
4 hrs 25 mins
I stole (and adapted) this recipe from applesforhealth.com, because they have stolen dozens of recipes from me and hundreds of recipes from Recipezaar! The original source of the recipe is the Art of Cooking for the Diabetic. Low sodium and low cholesterol, too!
My Private Note
U.S. pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large onions, chopped (about 4 cups total)
- 2 large leeks, well washed and chopped (about 2½ cups total)
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 parsnip, well washed and chopped
- 3/4-1 lb celery root, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 3 1/2 quarts bottled water
- 1 cup fresh parsley (stems and leaves)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1Saute the chopped onions in a skillet until they are all brown and almost black.
- 2Although you may vary the vegetable ingredients to taste, I strongly recommend that you do not omit the browned onions or the parsnip.
- 3In a crockpot, combine vegetables and water.
- 4Bring to a simmer, skimming foam from surface.
- 5Add parsley, bay leaves, and peppercorns.
- 6Cook on low for about 3 hours and check it periodically, adding more water as necessary to keep ingredients covered.
- 7Taste the stock and continue cooking, if desired the longer it cooks, the stronger the flavour will be.
- 8Strain stock through a fine sieve.
- 9Stock keeps 3 days in the refrigerator or 1 month if frozen.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Diabetic Vegetable Stock
Serving Size: 1 (1653 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.8
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 90.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: