Recipe by Tisme
Got this recipe from a site on the net. I needed a sugar free strawberry jam. Seeing no-sugared jam spoils easily, so I tried this recipe and it is perfect. The jam is stored in the freezer, so you may use any airtight, leak proof freezer container for storage. Tastes better if allowed to sit for a week. freezes beautifully for up to 6 months.
Top Review by PTKSmom
I have to add another thought after making more jam. The recipe is not clear (at least it was not to me). I read it as saying that you need to take 1 1/2 cups of white grape juice CONCENTRATE and simmer it down to 1/2 cup....well, after making it again, I decided that was wrong and you either need 1/2 cup of the concentrate, OR you can use reconstituted juice and simmer it down to BE concentrated. Also, I recommend using only 1 TBS of gelatin. The first batch I made was very thick, but the others seem to be great with only 1 Tbs. I also omitted the peel, which seems to be fine. AND I used apricots today, and the outcome is fantastic!!! I am THRILLED to have a working, inexpensive sugar-free recipe for jam though!
- 4 cups strawberries, halved
- 1⁄2 cup white grape juice concentrate (simmered down from 1-1/2 cups)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
Directions See How It's Made
- Place berries juices and lemon rind in saucepan.
- Mash berries slightly to release juice.
- Heat berries to boiling.
- Sprinkle with unflavored gelatin, and stir gelatin in well.
- Remove from heat, skim top and pack into hot jars with hot lids.
- Cool to room temperature before freezing.