Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Diabetic Shortbread cookies. I have not tried these yet. The recipe is in response to a request for diabetic shortbread.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons Equal sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold margarine, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 12 whole unblanched almonds or 12 whole pecan halves
- Combine flour, Equal® for Recipes or Equal® Spoonful?
- ,cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl, cut in margarine with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle vanilla and almond extracts over mixture and stir in; mix with hands briefly until dough begins to hold together.
- Pat dough evenly in bottom of greased 8-inch round cake pan.
- Lightly cut dough into 12 wedges with sharp knife, cutting about halfway through dough.
- Pierce each wedge 2 to 3 times with tines of fork; press almond into each wedge.
- Bake in preheated 325*F (160*C) oven until shortbread is lightly browned 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack; cut into wedges while warm.
We tried this for some diabetic friends tonight. They said that it had more flavor than most diabetic sweets. We cut the down the butter to 6 tbs and didn't use the unblanched almonds. It appeared a little flaky but was really good.
This shortbread is terrific. I think 8 Tablespoons of margarine is over the top, so I will decrease it next time. Other than that, this is a real keeper! Susan B
I have not tried this YET but I will be. I was looking for a shortbread recipe just yesterday afternoon. Too bad I didn't see this one. The only changes I intend to make are leaving out the almond extract and possibly leaving the nuts off. But it sounds so close to the "real" shortbread that I can hardly wait to try this. THANK YOU!