Recipe by Steve P.
Diabetic Shortbread cookies. I have not tried these yet. The recipe is in response to a request for diabetic shortbread.
Top Review by Whozep68
We tried this for some diabetic friends tonight. They said that it had more flavor than most diabetic sweets. We cut the down the butter to 6 tbs and didn't use the unblanched almonds. It appeared a little flaky but was really good.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons Equal sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold margarine, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 12 whole unblanched almonds or 12 whole pecan halves
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, Equal® for Recipes or Equal® Spoonful?
- ,cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl, cut in margarine with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle vanilla and almond extracts over mixture and stir in; mix with hands briefly until dough begins to hold together.
- Pat dough evenly in bottom of greased 8-inch round cake pan.
- Lightly cut dough into 12 wedges with sharp knife, cutting about halfway through dough.
- Pierce each wedge 2 to 3 times with tines of fork; press almond into each wedge.
- Bake in preheated 325*F (160*C) oven until shortbread is lightly browned 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack; cut into wedges while warm.