Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 (6 lb) whole rock cod fish, cleaned,with head and tail intact
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 3 (8 inch) pieces wild fennel, including flowering seed head and leaves
- Make a wood or charcoal fire in a barbecue or preheat a gas barbecue grill.
- Rub the fish inside and out with the olive oil, salt, pepper and ground fennel seed.
- If necessary, cut the wild fennel to fit inside the fish, then tuck it into the cavity.
- Clean the grill rack with a wire brush and rub it with oil.
- When the coals are medium-hot, place the fish directly on the grill.
- Cook for 3 minutes, then cover, venting both the upper and lower vents of the barbecue.
- Cook about 20 minutes, or until the fish easily flakes from the bone with a fork.
- Remove to a platter and fillet one side, then remove the backbone and head by lifting on the tail.