Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
Coating popcorn with syrup is a great way to satisfy a sweet tooth, since it makes a bit of syrup go a long way.
- 10 cups low fat microwave popped popcorn
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Spray a large baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove and discard unpopped kernels from popcorn and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, molasses, water and stir to mix well.
- Cook over medium heat stirring with a wooden spoon until it comes to a full boil.
- Boil stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in vanilla. Mix well.
- Very slowly drizzle syrup over the popcorn, stirring well to coat evenly (keep fingers away from hot syrup).
- Spread popcorn evenly in the pan.
- Bake on centre oven rack 5-6 mins until popcorn begins to crisp slightly.
- Remove from oven and stir.
- Let cool.
- Syrup will harden and popcorn will crisp further as it cools.
- When cool store in a sealed plastic bag or airtight container for 2-3 days (if it lasts that long!).
- EXCHANGE: 1 carbohydrate.