1/5 Photos of Diabetic Pear Strudel
I needed an extra dessert for an expected dinner guest who is diabetic. After looking at recipes for a couple of hours, I found this one and it sounded yummy. My dinner will be next month but thought I would try it today to make sure it was good. It was very yummy and I will definitely serve it at my dinner. It's from diabetic-recipes.com. Diabetic exchanges: 2 carbs (1 bread/starch, 1 fruit) 2 fat
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs pears (Bartlett or D'anjou, 720g)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (5 ml)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (10 ml)
- 2 tablespoons one-to-one sugar substitute (I used Splenda, 30 g)
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted (30 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (2.5 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (2.5 ml)
- 1Preheat oven to 425F (220C)Gas Mark 7.
- 2Use nonstick cookie sheet, spray lightly or cover with parchment paper.
- 3Peel, core and thinly slice pears.
- 4Lightly coat a nonstick pan with butter flavored cooking spray. (I just used butter).
- 5Add the pears and saute for 2 minutes.
- 6Stir in the zest, juice and sugar substitute. Cook until the pears are just cooked through. Set aside.
- 7On a floured surface, roll the puff pastry to make a 12 1/2 X 10 1/2 (31.25 x 26.25) inch rectangle.
- 8Sprinkle almonds on the pastry.
- 9Drain pears and place down middle third (long way) of the puff pastry to within 1/2 inch (1.25cm) of the top and bottom edge.
- 10Spray the edges of the pastry and fold each 1/3 side over fruit. I brushed on butter.
- 11Place seam side down on cookie sheet.
- 12Make slashes every 2 inches (5 cm).
- 13Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top.
- 14Coat with butter flavored cooking spray. If you use melted butter, put on before cinnamon/sugar.
- 15Bake 25-30 minutes until puffed and brown.
- 16Allow to cool to room temperature then cut into 8 pieces. Can serve with sugar free icecream or whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Diabetic Pear Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.6
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 77.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 2.9 g