1/2 Photos of Diabetic Oatmeal Cookies With Chocolate Chunks and Candied Ginge
This is my own adapted version that I made from an Epicurious recipe. They are delicious but I need to say that they taste best the next day. When fresh from the oven the ginger hasn't really matured and mingled to it's best yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, fine ground if possible
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup margarine (low sat, non trans fat brand)
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute, brown blend (can use more if a sweeter cookie is desired)
- 1/4 cup egg white
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (65% or plus cocoa)
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 375°F Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2In food processor, combine oats, both flours, salt, and baking soda and ground ginger.
- 3Pulse until oats are coarsely chopped, about 6 (1-second) pulses and set aside.
- 4Using electric mixer at high speed, beat butter and Splenda brown sugar until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Add egg white and vanilla and beat until smooth, about 1 minute. Add oat mixture and mix at low speed just until incorporated.
- 6Stir in chocolate and ginger.
- 7Drop rounded tablespoons of dough about 2 inches apart onto baking sheets.
- 8Bake, 2 pans at a time, switching positions of pans halfway through baking, until golden and slightly crisp on edges, about 10 to 14 minutes. Cool on sheets 3 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely. Continue making cookies with remaining dough and cooled sheets.
- 9Transportation tips:.
- 10To keep them fresh, pack the cookies in covered containers with waxed paper between each layer. If it's very hot out, you may want to refrigerate them until you leave to ensure that they won't melt before dessert time.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Diabetic Oatmeal Cookies With Chocolate Chunks and Candied Ginge
Serving Size: 1 (700 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 46.9
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 60.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: