Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe from a diabetic cooking cookbook a few weeks ago. I made it last weekend for me and my dad and it was much better than I thought it would be. My kids even liked it.
- 1 large ripe mango, about 12 ounces
- 2 cups French bread, cubed into 1 inch cubes
- 10 ounces evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular (sugar substitute)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Working over a bowl to catch any juices, peel and pit mango.
- Chop mango flesh.
- In a shallow 1-quart casserole dish, toss together bread cubes and mango pieces.
- In a saucepan, bring evaporated skim milk to a boil and remove pan from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg substitute, sugar substitute, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground allspice, and any juice generated by cutting up the mango.
- In a steady stream, whisk in hot milk.
- Pour mixture over the bread cubes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- (Recipe may be made ahead up to this point, covered, and refrigerated.)
- Sprinkle top of pudding with granulated sugar and dot with margarine.
- Bake until set and top is crisp and golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve warm.