Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 portabella mushrooms, about 4 ",in diameter
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- arugula, leaves for garnish
- Combine oil and garlic in a small skillet.
- Cook over very low heat until soft and aromatic, not browned.
- Add red pepper flakes and remove from heat.
- Hold mushroom upright and tap to dislodge dirt.
- Clean with a soft brush.
- Gently cut the stem flush with the cap, reserving the stem.
- Paint the caps sparingly with about 1/2 the oil mixture outside then inside.
- Set gill-side up on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp.
- of the salt.
- With a paring knife, peel reserved mushroom stems, cut into fine dice and place in a bowl.
- Stir in diced red pepper, parsley and thyme.
- Add remaining oil mixture and remaining 1/2 tsp.
- salt and pepper.
- Let stand until somewhat juicy, about 1 hour, tossing occasionally.
- Set rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 450 degrees.
- Divide the stuffing among the caps, spreading evenly.
- Bake until tender throughout, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a warm platter and garnish with arugula.
- Serve hot.
These are great!!!! I skipped the salt, but added a spoon of mozzerella cheese on top. wonderful.
I used half the amount of salt and removed the gills but otherwise followed the recipe exactly and it was a total hit. Love it!