1/1 Photo of Diabetic Holiday Biscotti
1 hr 5 mins
For a coffee-lovers gift, team these homemade coffeehouse pleasures with a bag of coffee beans and a pretty mug. Times given do not include chill or cool times which = 3 hrs (although, personally, I have yet to let biscotti cool for an hour before slicing)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 1 cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anise seed
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 cup dried cranberries or 1 cup unsweetened dried cherries
- 3/4 cup pistachios, shelled
- 1/2 cup dried apricot, snipped
- 1 egg
- 1Beat butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- 2Add baking powder, baking soda, and salt; beat until combined.
- 3Beat in the 3/4 cup egg whites, vanilla, and almond extract until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer, adding the Splenda with the first two flour additions.
- 4Stir in any remaining flour; the anise and fennel seeds; and the cranberries, pistachios, and apricots with a wooden spoon.
- 5Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or till dough is easy to handle.
- 6Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 7Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 12-inch-long log 1-1/2 inches in diameter.
- 8Place logs at least 3 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Flatten each log slightly to 3/4-inch thickness.
- 9Combine egg and 1 tablespoon water.
- 10Brush over logs.
- 11Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till light brown.
- 12Cool logs on cookie sheet 1 hour or till completely cool.
- 13When logs are cool, preheat oven to 325 dgrees F. Transfer logs to a cutting board.
- 14Cut each log diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- 15Lay slices down on cookie sheets.
- 16Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- 17Turn slices over, and bake 5 minutes more or till dry and crisp.
- 18Remove and cool on wire racks. Makes about 48.
- 19TO STORE:: Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Diabetic Holiday Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (17 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 48.8
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 6.4 mg
- Sodium 49.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: