Recipe by nomnom
I made these for my Baci ("grandmother" in Polish) because she has to watch her blood sugar. Loving her with all my being makes me worry about her well-being. I decided to try this recipe (and another Oatmeal Bar recipe) and give her an alternative to eating baked goods for a "quick fix." She preferred the other recipe and recommends this recipe to those who like Grape Nuts. She says the bars reminded her of Grape Nuts pudding.
Top Review by Ariadne
These bars are delicious! My husband doesn't even like Grape Nuts and he wanted to eat these bars all day. The only thing I added was cinnamon (1/4 tsp). Next time I'm going to add mixed berries. I'll let you know how they turn out. Thanks!
- 3 cups Grape-nuts cereal
- 1 cup skim milk (or soy milk)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- OPTIONAL: You don't have to do this (blame it on my paranoia and perfectionism), but I boiled water and added the raisins in order to plump them and remove any surface sugars.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour into a non-stick 9 inch square baking dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until firm.
- Cool and cut into 12 squares.
- NOTE: To add some interesting or favorite taste variations, add one or more tsp of any flavor extract (or any combination): coconut, banana, almond, mint, or cocoa powder.
- Various spices can also be added: nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, clove, lemon and orange peel.
- You can add other extracts or spices such as: 1/2- 1 tsp.
- or combination of: coconut, banana, almond extracts, cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, clove, lemon and orange peel.
- These bars keep well in the freezer and are excellent for traveling.