Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
YES YOU CAN! This icing is my absolute FAVE!This recipe came from my second mom & hair-do fairy godmother. Marline. My mom makes the "regular" kind and when Splenda came up with the brown sugar substitute and I learned to make diabetic sweetened condensed milk (Sweetened Condensed Milk Substitute for Diabetics) I decided to try to make it "unleaded". Hope it turns out to your liking. Try it with some of the other low-sugar chocolate cakes here at Zaar and let me know what you think!
- Place everything except the coconuts and pecans in a heavy 3-quart saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over med-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, 3-5 minutes or until pudding-like in consistency.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans.
- Will frost a 9x13 cake with a bit left over if you're frugal with the frosting.
- NOTE: If you would like to make this with "real" sugar, sub in 2 cans "commercial sweetened condensed milk and 1/2 cup "regular" brown sugar.
I made this icing with the "Died and Gone to Heaven Chocolate Cake, Diabetic Version" and the teachers went ABSOLUTELY crazy over it! Delicious icing on a delicious cake...doesn't even feel like it's missing the real sugar.